Emotive properties of music (communications paper)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Okay I know that as you look through this project it might be a pretty random as you don’t fully understand its background. Anyway part of the brief (brief means something like the instructions to whatever project were given) was to create a container for an object. The container was to communicate or in one sense bring out the qualities of that object. My object was a guitar. I decided to pull away from the generic physical container that usually are found in projects like these; but decided to think more ‘abstractly’.

I decided to create a setting where people would come and sit down with a whole set of media (watercolours, pastels, pencils, spray paints, charcoal, and so on)... and ta daa.. I would play the guitar for them. My instructions to them would be simple: “express on your pad with the media you have been given your feelings and emotions (draw what you feel)”. I would then play very soothing music and let them draw/ paint/ spray. I then got them to change their pad and then play a hard, heavy, metallic rock type tune, and again get them to draw.

The Result: As I play my object, I put everyone who is listening into a container; a container of focus and attention. The best way to communicate the emotive properties of music is to get ‘one to show oneself’... And they definitely did!!

 
Copyright © Inspired to Inspire